Try this at home and you will never buy a jar of pesto again. The recipe is simple.
You will need:
- 50 gms basil (leaves only)
- 50 gms pine nuts (toasted)
- 50 gms grated parmesan
- 2 garlic cloves
- 100 mls of extra virgin olive oil
- a teaspoon of salt
Pesto is traditionally made using a mortar and pestle but it’s so much easier to make it if you use a food processor.
- Put the pine nuts and garlic into the food processor while it is running and whizz.
- When the nuts are coarsely ground add the olive oil and whizz again.
- Put in the basil leaves, Parmesan and salt and whizz again until the pesto is formed.
- Store in a glass jar, pour a layer of oil over the top to seal and keep in the fridge.