The Opera Theatre Company is currently touring Ireland with a production of Donizetti’s Don Pasquale. I popped up to the Civic Theatre in Tallaght on Saturday last to have a look. Before I left home I printed off a summary of the storyline in case I couldn’t follow it. As it turned out there was no need for me to have done so as the opera is sung in English and simple to follow. I must say that it was a bit of a shock to hear it in English but it made it a lot easier to understand.
We were in the intimate surroundings of the Civic Theatre, Tallaght, and about five rows from the action. There was a mini orchestra to the left of the stage. The opera is staged as a contemporary story and, amongst other nods to modernity, used text messages in lieu of delivered notes between lovers and schemers. But it all worked very well in my opinion. And there were a number of teenagers in the audience who really liked it too. (I overheard their discussions at the interval).
I’m not an Opera buff although I have been to see a fair few of them. The singing was fantastic and Claudia Boyle is superb as Norina. She really breathed life into her role. I saw her perform Le Nozze di Figaro some time ago and was also impressed by that performance. The arias and duets were beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed the performance and will be watching out for the Italian version.
Sadly there was no presentation of flowers to the leading lady at the curtain call. Shame!
The remaining tour dates are as follows:
- 01-Mar Theatre Royal, Waterford 051 874402 http://www.theatreroyal.ie 7.30pm
- 03-Mar Royal Theatre, Castlebar 0818 300 000 http://www.theroyal.ie 7.30pm
- 04-Mar Hawk’s Well Theatre, Sligo 071 9161526 http://www.hawkswell.com 7.30pm
- 05-Mar Solstice Arts Centre, Navan 046 909 2300 http://www.solsticeartscentre.com 8pm
- 08-Mar University Concert Hall, Limerick 061 331549 http://www.uch.ie 8pm
- 10-Mar Siamsa Tire, Tralee 066 7123055 http://www.siamsatire.com 7.30pm
- 12-Mar GB Shaw Theatre, Carlow 059 9172400 http://www.gbshawtheatre.ie 7.30pm
Go see it. You will be amused and entertained!